What is a bulkhead?
Bulkheads are wall lamps and they are becoming more and more popular because, as well as providing light, they are also real pieces of furniture. These lamps are very versatile and you can choose different styles, designs, shapes and colours. They can also support various types of light bulbs.
Of the many wall lights that exist, LED bulkheads are definitely worth a look. LED technology has many benefits, but here are the main ones:
- First and foremost is the great energy savings of LED lamps, which convert all energy into light, without dissipating it into heat and, therefore, have lower consumption. You can save up to 70% on your electricity bill!
- LEDs also emit a bright and powerful light, which switches on immediately and does not flicker;
- LED bulbs have a much longer life cycle than conventional bulbs and can operate for up to 70,000 hours. If, for example, you have an LED wall light with an average life of around 50,000 and you keep it on for 8 hours a day, it will last for 17 years, greatly reducing maintenance and replacement costs;
- LED lamps also contain no toxic substances and their components can be recycled, making LEDs the most sustainable lighting choice;
- LED bulbs no longer only emit cold light, but are available in different colour temperatures: warm white (3,000K) and cool white (4,000K).
Dimmable LED bulkheads
There are also bulkheads that can be dimmed, which means that the intensity of the light they emit can be adjusted. In other words, you can go from having a brighter light to a less bright one in no time at all, all you need is a LED dimmer.
On Any-lamp you can find dimmable wall lights as well as dim to warm bulkheads, with which you can adjust and change both the colour temperature and the light intensity. Use our filters to view dim to warm wall lamps, or click here.
Where to install LED bulkheads?
These lighting systems can easily be used in many different environments. The first big distinction is between indoor and outdoor wall lamps.
Indoor bulkheads are becoming more and more popular, as they can either fit perfectly into the room they are in and go unnoticed, or become a decorative element in their own right. Whether LED, modern, vintage, rustic or designer, these wall lights will satisfy all tastes! Wall lights often find a place in the bedroom, bathroom, hallway or stairs. In other words, wall lights can be placed anywhere!
There are also bulkheads for outdoor use, which are resistant to the elements, unlike wall lights designed for enclosed spaces. Before buying a LED bulkhead intended for an open space, make sure that it is sufficiently protected against water and dust. Lamps installed under a balcony or similar should have an IP of 44 at least, while if your outdoor wall light does not have any kind of protection and repair from rain, it is better to choose one that has IP65. Additionally, if the LED bulkhead is likely to be hit or knocked over, you should also pay attention to the IK index, which ranges from 00 to 10 and indicates the degree of protection against impact.
Click here to see all our outdoor bulkheads.
In any case, we recommend that you choose to place your bulkhead at a height where it will not dazzle you when it is switched on. The lamp should therefore be fixed at a higher height than that of your eyes, so we recommend that you position them at least 170 cm above the ground.
Which bulkhead to choose
Choosing a bulkhead depends very much on the room in which it will be placed. For example, for the bedroom or the living room, we recommend choosing one that gives off a fairly warm light, which is known to be cosy and relaxing. For these rooms, therefore, a light of 3,000K is ideal. For rooms such as bathrooms and kitchens, where you need to be able to see more of the details, we recommend LED bulkheads that emit cool white light (4,000K).
Finally, if you are looking for a wall lamp that adapts to different lighting needs, dim to warm LED bulkheads are the right choice, as they allow you to adjust the temperature and intensity of the light and to switch from very warm light (2,700K) to cold light (4,000K).
At Any-lamp you can choose from LED wall lights of the best brands, such as Philips and Noxion, which ensure quality lighting with minimalist and modern designs.
LED bulkheads with motion sensors
There are also LED bulkheads with an integrated motion sensor. These lamps are best for areas that do not need constant lighting, such as stairs or corridors, as they automatically switch on when the sensor detects movement and switch off when movement ceases. Although LED lighting already saves a lot of energy compared to other light sources, bulkheads with a sensor will save even more as they only switch on when needed. Click here to see all our wall lights with a motion sensor.
Moreover, we also offer bulkheads with a twilight sensor, which switch automatically on when the sun goes down. These types of lamps are often installed in outdoor spaces, such as a garden or balcony, but you can also place them near your front door. See all our lamps with a light sensor.
How do I install a LED bulkhead?
Installing a wall light is not difficult and, with a little care, it can be done even if you have no experience. Here's how:
- Firstly, you need to decide where to install it and mark the exact points on the wall, which should then be drilled and used to fix the lamp base with screws or dowels;
- Then you have to connect the electrical system. This step is the most delicate and must be done safely: switch off the power and wear electrician's gloves before continuing.
- Make sure that the electrical cables coming out of the wall, or out of the conduit, are long enough to work with and that the rubber sheath is removed a few centimetres from all ends;
- At this point, all you have to do is connect the three electrical wires in tha lamp;
- Once this is done you can proceed to fit the rest of the lamp and, if necessary, insert the light bulb;
- Then reconnect the power and switch on the light!
It is also possible to install a wall light if there is no fitting on the wall where you want to place it. In these cases, simply choose a wall light with a cord and plug to plug into the nearest electrical socket and simply fix the light to the wall with simple screws.
Other customers recommend this video:
Your request has been successfully sent!
Our sales team will now contact you shortly. Together with you, we will collect your data and talk about your personal advantages. Thank you for your trust!
We are sorry
Unfortunately you can only request a quotation if you are an installer or a company. You can always use the special tier discounts for our products.